Jul 14, 2009

We had transfers again! I can't believe how fast the last transfer went! I really loved being with Sister Patterson, so I think that had something to do with it. My new companion is Sister Morgan. My first impression of Sister Morgan when I got here was that she looks a lot like the little sister in Some Kind of Wonderful or the 80s actress Molly Ringwald (she gets that one a lot). I'll send a picture when I get one. To give you an idea on the kind of personality she has, everyone often calls her Senator Morgan (I think to her dismay)-- but I'd vote for her. She's comes across as very put together and she's very organized. She's got a strong love of the gospel and the family. She's got one semester left before she graduates in Public Relations from BYU. We're pretty different I think, but I'm excited because I know I'll learn a lot from her. I believe this is an inspired companionship. It'll be interesting to see what I take away from the experience. I'm also glad I have a companion who is so flexible but very organized with time-- I need that this transfer with all the running around during Pageant season. Oh, she's from Virginia. And I'm still in Nauvoo. Sister Patterson went to Carthage (which is sad, but I know she'll do a great job there). Sister Meyer is still here with me and Sister Barry is still in Carthage.It's been a good week with the work. I've been more aware of the influence of the Holy Ghost guiding me in my service and comforting me this last week. I had a really neat opportunity this week to testify to three girls who were with their grandparents. It was probably one of the sweetest experiences I've had so far. All three of the girls wanted to study The Book of Mormon and I had the blessing of being able to teach them about the First Vision and the origins of The Book of Mormon. The Spirit was really strong and it took a lot for me to not be teary. I've been able to teach many times this week, which has been a big blessing. Also, we've been busy with the first week of Pageant. Pageant is amazing. There are so many truths taught and the production is very well done. There's also a big pre-show area with lots of neat activities. It kind of reminds me of being at the Scottish Festival with all the bagpipes going and dancing. Of course we don't participate in that-- I did however teach several children to braid rags this last week. :) It was very fun for me. Pageant has also given me many opportunities to Sign and interpret. I interpreted every day Wednesday through Sunday. Two of those days I was interpreting for another play and for church, but the rest was all Pageant! It's been crazy and left me more tired, but it's been great to Sign that much and so the added time and physical and mental stress has all been worth it. And I'm getting better at it! :)There's just a few other things I wanted to tell you. Today on the way back from shopping (in Iowa of course) I saw a mother dear and two little twin fawns complete with white spots. A little further down I saw a fox running down the side of the road. And there are canadian geese all over right now. It's been a good day for wildlife viewing. Here's a funny story. The other morning as I was saying my prayers I heard the front door open, a few screams, a big bang, and then hysterical laughter and talking-- apparently some of the sisters on their way out to exercise opened the door and there was a big raccoon in the trash and he started to come in our house. The bang was them slamming the door closed to keep it out. I thought it was hilarious, even though the raccoon probably didn't. We got our new Sister this week (the one called in place of Sister Enser). Her name is Sister Johnson-- and surprise for me: I served with her at institute! She was over the committee I was on about a year and a half ago. (We were pretty good buddies before she left. She called me Mo and I called her Jenny Jo. Good times!) I was very excited when she came and I saw who she was. At our district meeting on Sunday, Sister Ludwig gave us notebooks for "Remember Journals." The idea is that every night we will write three things from that day that we want to remember down the road. I really like it. I think I like the fact that it's simple, because sometimes I am pretty bad at journal writing because I want it to be a detailed masterpiece. Well, I've got to go so I can write to President. I love you all! Have a good week.Love,Sister Westwood

No comments: