Jun 23, 2009

Hi family!What a week! How has yours been?Thanks for your letters! I should have time today to write some snail mail responses.We had so much fun in Hannibal!!! We went to the Mark Twain Cave, which is the cave that inspired his accounts in Tom Sawyer. I'd really like to read that book again now that I've been there. It was really fun. I always read about cool places and wish they were real so I could visit them in real life-- this is one time it came true! I'm including a picture of Sister Patterson and I inside the cave. It was a lovely little day trip. We also saw a light house and had lunch in Quincy.I'm really loving serving with Sister Patterson. She definitely brings out the best missionary in me. We work and study really well together. This last week we decided to try our faith and set some high goals for how many referrals we would get and things like that. We prayed for help to be able to accomplish our goals and then went to work to reach them, study and practice faith, and love the people we met so that we remembered the people those numbers represent. It was an amazing week! We accomplished EVERY single goal and truly saw miracles. It was definitely exhausting, and it was definitely worth every exhausting moment. I learned so much about faith and miracles this week. When we act on faith it's like opening the door to God to help us acheive miracles, and it opens us up to further receive the direction of the Spirit. It's like that car analogy-- you have to be driving to steer the car= we have to be moving (in faith) to receive the direction we desire from God. This week I've felt like a real missionary, and I'm very grateful for the experiences we've had. I'm looking forward to many more.On a slightly less exciting note, I've been feeling pretty yucky since about mid-day Sunday. It's been called the Nauvoo gunk. I'm not sure what exactly the Nauvoo gunk is. It might be whatever gunk is flying around Nauvoo (it would make perfect sense with all the close interactions we have with other missionaries and with visitors from all over the world) or it could just be the general gunk of the climate. The heat index with the humidity has shot up over the last week. It's been crazy. Somedays I walk outside and it feels like I stepped into an oven or a well lit sauna. I don't remember it being so unpleasant on vacations-- I think it might be something to do with the constant exposure. It really makes my joints ache. Oh well. Anyway, I don't know if this flu-ey feeling is the heat and humidity or if it's real flu. Sister Patterson is way sweet though. Last night she made me a really amazing bowl of oatmeal- she put cinnamon, brown sugar, salt, and butter in it- I was really glad I didn't throw it up because I would have felt guilty. And this morning she asked if she could bring me something to eat. All I wanted was toast. Several minutes later she brought me breakfast in bed: toast that looked like a monkey (see attached picture). She even made monkey noises when she came in. Ah, Sister Patterson... :)Well, I can't remember if there's anything else I was going to tell you. If so, I'll send it snail mail! God loves you! He answers prayers! May you continue on in faith that He will take care of you, because He will! I love you all dearly.Love,Sister Westwood

No comments: