Oct 13, 2009
Dear family,Well, it's been a very eventful week!We left Nauvoo Wednesday morning and traveled to St. Louis where we had lunch and then checked in at the airport and said our goodbyes to almost everyone. I didn't have any problems with my luggage except that I put all my books in my carry-on bag and the strap broke (nothing plyers shouldn't fix). My carry-on got searched too. Basically, all my luggage problems happened with my carry-on. Oh well. Five of us flew together to Denver. We said goodbye to Sister Morgan and Sister Quick. Sister Bailey, Sister Johnson, and I (mostly I) got a bite to eat and contacted some people in the airport. We gave them the Book of Mormon with a promise that it answers life's questions. We went to my terminal where they dropped me off. It was weird. I sat there essentially by myself-- a lone missionary. I contacted a few people who weren't interested. Then I got on my plane. My plane was a small commercial plane and I walked out onto the pavement and up the stairs to board. I sat on the plane next to a man living in Montana who had a recent death in the family and shared my testimony with him and gave him a Book of Mormon. It was snowing in Billings so they announced that my flight might be rerouted to Bozeman. I didn't panic! I prayed and logically thought through what I should do if that happened. We landed in Billings. My mission president's wife (Sister Gardner) picked me up. We went and saw the temple and went to dinner. I stayed that night in the mission home. We stopped in at the office both that night and Thursday morning. I can't remember which time it was, but all the missionaries in the office were telling their "dog bite" stories. That's encouraging!I spent the first two days in Billings. I was temporarily companions with Sister Lingsmann and Sister Denning. We helped somebody move, taught several lessons, and visited with a few investigators. I instantly loved the people there. It's strange that I only served there two days, because it feels like that was "my area" for longer than that. There is a really cute family there that I really want to get baptized and sealed.Friday night my new companions came in to go through the temple with a couple in our ward. When they finally arrived and met, my trainer here in the field looked at my tag, read "American Sign Language," and said, "Sister! We need you!" Turns out that just this last week they found out about a family in our ward that are less active because the parents in the family are deaf and there's nobody to interpret for them.The next morning we went to the temple for the sealing of the same family in our ward. It was incredible. I didn't even know them yet, but I was SO happy for them. Five really cute little girls came in all dressed in white and really excited. They showed so much love to eachother. It was a very touching experience. It also made me think about the little family in Billings and wanting them to experience that so badly.Afterwards we came to my new area. I'm in Three Forks and surrounding areas. Three Forks seems to be about the size of Salem, and our area takes in several surrounding towns (it covers a HUGE area). It's about 30 or 40 minutes away from Bozeman. I'm currently in a trio. My companions are Sister Engstrom (she was trained by Sister Granja) and Sister Call (she's waiting for her visa so she can go to Mongolia). We live with an older couple in the ward named the Prices. It's poetic-- Sister Price is a descendant of the man who built the house we lived in in Nauvoo! They are very nice people.It is VERY cold here. I would say it's been an average high of about 20 degrees. There's me all bundled up and shivering and everyone's saying, "It's not too cold yet!" Apparently the temperature will get 50 degrees colder and we'll all be wearing three pairs of gloves and at least two hats. I've bought some thermals, but I'll probably invest in some more warm layers. Seriously though, this is a great trial for me. Please pray for me to be able to cope with the cold this winter.Saturday night we contacted several potential investigators and taught a few lessons. We have some investigators that seem to be very prepared and I'm very excited to teach. We also went out of town to contact the deaf family. That was exciting. I visited with them for a while and found out that they really miss feeling the Spirit at church and the kids love primary. I invited them to come to church and said that as long as I'm in the area, I'll interpret for them. We're working with members of the ward to figure out another option so that they can participate in church after I leave.Yesterday was exciting. We went to the Priesthood Executive Council meeting in the morning. I went to the new ward and met lots of people. I interpreted sacrament meeting (one of the kids was pretty sick, so they left after that). We went to part of priesthood meeting to see a recent convert receive the priesthood. We went tracting and found a few potential investigators. We taught a couple lessons. The highlight of yesterday was that an investigator who's wife and kids are members of the church, surprised us with a baptismal date. I had nothing to do with it, but Sister Engstrom's been working with him for a while and worked really hard to get him to set a date. So we're sitting there chatting, and all of a sudden the investigator says, "November 7." It took a minute to figure out what he was talking about and then there were lots of tears. Apparently he's known for several days that it was soon and he had an answer to get baptized, and he picked the date yesterday morning. He just chose to wait to surprise us. It was the BEST feeling! I'm so excited! So, he will be baptized November 7.Other than that, preparation day is Monday! We're having a birthday party today for a couple of the elders in our district.I'm starting a sign language class on Tuesday nights so that members of the ward can come learn some basic conversational skills. It sounds like there should be a good turn out. Lots of families have said they plan on coming. We're also inviting the community, so hopefully we can get some investigators out of this!I'm loving it here, despite the fact that I'm FREEZING!I love you all! Take care and know that you are in my prayers. Love,Sister Westwood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What is Sis. Westwood's Montana mission address? This is one of her old roommates, Michelle.
Post a Comment