Aug 18, 2009

Dear family,
Well, I'm having a rough p-day, which is now on Monday btw. It went something like this: woke up, did transfer moves (I'm now in the bedroom I was in when I first came to Nauvoo), got showered and dressed, raced to the Temple, enjoyed the session, went home and did personal study, and then my companion and I went from store to store here in Nauvoo looking for a picture frame that someone asked us to pick up and we never found it, and then we went and cleaned the van and now we're here emailing.
As you know, we have had transfers. Yesterday was a highly emotional day, especially at transfer meeting. This week all of the performing missionaries leave (tomorrow actually) and their leaders, including my great uncle and aunt Elder and Sister Westwood. This was their last summer. I'm glad I got to know them while serving here though-- it's been a neat opportunity. We're also losing Sister Davis who has been serving here in Nauvoo productions for 9 years. We had a farewell event for her last night and as entertaining as she is (she reminds me of Lucille Ball mixed with Doris Day), it was kind of like going to the senior sob assembly because everyone was saying goodbye to her and all of the performing missionaries. Also this week we're losing two of our sisters-- Sister Ahrendsen (from Rexburg) who was one of our APs and one of the sweetest sisters here, and Sister Granja who is from Recife Brazil. Sister Meyer got sent to Carthage. Sister Barry came back though, and we're excited to be around each other again. Oh, by the way, here's a fun twist of connections. Sister Patterson and Sister Morgan (my last two comps) are now companions, and my companion was Sister Meyer's companion last transfer. So there you go! Anyway, my new companion is from the DC area, and her name is Sister Bailey. I actually have met her older brother a few times before because he served a signing mission and now interprets at UVU. Anyway, I really like her, but I think this is going to be an interesting transfer for me. I'm now senior companion for the first time since I left the MTC, and I'm not sure how to approach it. Oh here's something else kind of random, but I'm now driving for the first time in almost six months-- and in a minivan! WEIRD!I want to share some missionary moments with you. We've been calling on referrals a lot lately now that pageant is done. Well, I talked to one person that got really upset and said he did not want missionaries bothering him ever again and he has his own ways. He wasn't very nice to me. And then in complete contrast, that same night I got another referral, and when I called on Sunday (the next day), it was amazing. I called this lady in Zambia and when I told her I was calling with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints she got really excited and said quite suddenly and loudly, "Where can I find you?!?" I told her we wanted to send missionaries to her and she was ecstatic. It was one of the coolest experiences I've had so far. Even better, it sounds like she has a lot of extended family that might also be looking for the gospel. So the moral of the story is, we can't get discouraged by those bad experiences and give up-- because that next phone call might just be wondering where they can find the Church.Well, see, that's a happy note to end on! I love you very much and hope you have a great week. I've been praying real hard for all of you. Love and miss you!
Love,Nikki

No comments: