Jun 3, 2010

Dear Family,
Michael asked when I'll be coming home. It will either be August 20 or September 22. I haven't gotten the final word, yet.
In fun news, guess who I saw? Well, I'll tell you. I was serving in the Visitor Center and looked over and saw somebody that looked familiar from the back, so I casually walked over where I could see their face to see if it really was who I thought it was. And it WAS! I saw my friend Kim. I was SO excited. I've actually wondered about her a lot because we lost touch. Well, we had a nice talk and caught up on some things. It was nice to see her, re-exchange infor, and then also to share my testimony with her and be a visitor center sister for her. Also, that very same day I saw my friend Lafe. He was in my BYU ward and came to my farewell. He was really good friends with my whole apartment.
The work: Naturally, it was a busy weekend. Lots of Memorial Day vacationers. It was very busy. I'll share a few highlights from the rest of the week.
This year we had a bunch of senior missionaries come in without going to the MTC. So, we gave them a little MTC experience here in Nauvoo. I helped mentor a few senior couples in the call center.
This week I gave a very noteworthy tour to a group of 9 or 10 Catholic young ladies and Father from "a Catholic community." I had already said I'd be happy to give them the tour when the father came in (complete with brown robes) which I didn't see coming. I put them in a movie and then got really nervous. I took another sister missionary with me on the tour. We didn't get very far because the group bombarded me with doctrinal questions. I did my best to answer simply, but I could tell a few of them were trying to push buttons. Eventually they left for a wagon ride and then came back several hours later to finish the tour. I had a different missionary with me for the second part. I had spent my study time at lunch reading in Our Search for Happiness where Elder Ballard talked about authority with a group of 45 ministers. That was pretty nice to have under my belt, at least for added confidence. Well, I addressed them differently after my studies and my temporary companion and I testified to them that if they questioned the doctrine, what they should question is the Restoration, read the Book of Mormon, and try to get an answer. Those that were still beating us down were confounded when a visiting member suddenly appeared out of nowhere and bore HER testimony with vigor and answered very openly the questions we were struggling with. It was awesome. I know some of those girls felt the Spirit testify to them, and I hope they will investigate further.
This experience made me realize that at first I was too worried about who they were and dealing diplomatically with them and hence lost sight of who I am. 3 Ne. 5:13 came to mind and I continue to reflect on it. Who am I? "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." I could easily recognize the difference in the power between part A of the tour and part B. There is power in declaring Christ's word, and I feel like I've reclaimed the boldness of the field, and have been a better visitor center missionary since that tour.
Soon after that experience, I had an opportunity to give a tour to two nonmembers visiting some of their friends. I boldly declared my testimony and they felt my sincerity and the Holy Ghost. They were brought to tears. I have since had several other similar tours.
And in other news, I finally finished getting the Nauvoo production scripts compiled for all the ASL sisters so we can prepare more for interpreting! Yeah!!!
Well, it's been an exciting, busy, and spiritual week for me. I hope you are all doing well, reading your scriptures, praying, and being safe. I love you lots and you are in my prayers. Have a happy week!
Love,
Sister Westwood

No comments: