Well, it's been quite the adventurous week. Training is much harder than I thought. My companion is wonderful, but it's just hard to be a trainer! It seems like that first night of missionary work was a test--everything went wrong and I felt like a disaster. But it's gotten a lot better. I'm learning and improving daily though. We're getting along well. She's even done some tours by herself. It's been insightful--I've realized how far I've come on my mission since I've reflected a lot on what I was like when I was in her shoes.
One of the big adventures this week has been the weather. Last week we had a bunch of storms and hence some flooding in the flats. Then the last several days have been extremely hot--much hotter than this time last year. And to make it even better, the AC has been out in our house. They're working on it, but let me just say it has been a real trial. Our house hasn't been any cooler than 86 in days. A couple nights ago we were sleeping in 91 degrees Fahrenheit (well, most were trying to sleep). I tried sleeping in front of the fan one night, but it was just blowing warm air. You know what I've done? I've gotten a bath towel damp with cold water and used it for a blanket. It's been helpful. Anyway, it's been funny in a stuffy, drippy, furnace kind of way.
Susan Easton Black spoke again. I was fascinated by her presentation last night and wanted to share it with you. Her subject was "Heritage Matters." It was about John Lathrop and his decendents. Would you like to know a few? Joseph Smith Jr., Hyrum Smith (hence also Joseph F. Smith and Joseph Fielding Smith), Oliver Cowdery, Orson & Parley P. Pratt, Fredrick Williams, Harold B. Lee, Wilford Woodruff, and Marion G. Romney (different family lines, but all tracing back to John Lathrop). I thought it was fascinating. She went on to show some spiritual gifts in lineage, focusing on Joseph Smith. It made me want to do more family history and learn some things about the people that make up my ancestry.
I love you lots and hope you have a good week.
Love,
Your Nauvoo Missionary
Jun 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment